Saint Patrick’s Day Smoothie
Avocado, oatmeal, fennel, are associated to make a healthy green smoothie with Irish steel cut oat.
This is the most healthy breakfast you can expect, giving you all you need to be alert and satisfied for hours with only 350 Cal intake and a treasure of nutraceuticals.
It became the favorite breakfast for most who tried.
When we combine the health benefits of avocado, fennel, and oatmeal, we have a ticket for a healthy, youthful long life.
Have a Happy Saint Patrick’s day, Enjoy the weekend
Ingredients for 1 serving: emory
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oatmeal
- 100g meat avocado (½ large size)
- ½ fennel bulb
- 1 lime
- 4 twigs parsley or cilantro
- 2 twigs of mint
- 1-inch long fresh ginger
- 1 cup water or tea
- 1 tsp of honey or maple syrup optional
Peel and dice the avocado. Clean and dice thinly the fennel bulb. Peel and dice thinly the ginger. Clean the parsley, keep just the leaves.
Set all in a blender add the oatmeal, the lime juice, the water, and the honey. Blend all and enjoy few hours of energy without feeling hungry.
100 g of avocado 160 cal protein 2.0 g carbs 4.25g fats 14.66g
- ¼ cup oat 150 cal 25g carbs 4g protein 2.5g fat
100g Fennel 35 cal 1.5g protein 0.23 g fat
Cook Steel-Cut Oats & Freeze Them
I like the chewy texture and nutty flavor of steel-cut oats. Steel-cut oats are made from the whole oat, cut into small chunks.
Oats are whole grain, it is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Steel-cut oats take longer to cook, the health benefits and flavor are worth the extra time. I use the Irish technic to soak them before to go to bed and just set the heat at 1, I increase at 2 when taking my shower a few minutes, and they are ready to use.
I can also make a large batch and freeze it into the individual portion for quick reheating.
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, then stir in the steel-cut oats. I use 2 cups of water for a ½ cup of steel cut oat when I soak and cook overnight, I use 3 cups of water for 1 cup of oats when I prepare a batch to freeze.
Reduce the heat to “Low” to bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook the oats for 20 minutes. For softer oatmeal, cook the oats for up to 30 minutes.
Spoon the oatmeal into a serving-sized container, and put the container into the freezer.
I used also to make ice cubes more often with spice adding to soups and smoothies. This gives some consistency and keeps the preparation healthy, it is also a way to feel full with low calories intake. Once frozen, pop the cubes from the tray and transfer them into a container. One cube is just right for a toddler and two to four cubes for an adult.
Defrost frozen steel-cut oats in the microwave or through them in your preparation, to cook or to blend as for a smoothie
- Cytoprotective effects of Avenathramide C against oxidative and inflammatory stress in normal human dermal fibroblasts.Wang C1, Eskiw CH2,3. Sci Rep. 2019 Feb 27;9(1):2932
- Avenanthramide, a polyphenol from oats, inhibits vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and enhances nitric oxide production.Nie L1, Wise ML, Peterson DM, Meydani M.Atherosclerosis. 2006 Jun;186(2):
- Whole grain oats, more than just a fiber: Role of unique phytochemicals.Sang S1, Chu Y2. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2017 Jul;61(7).
- Mass spectrometric characterisation of avenanthramides and enhancing their production by germination of oat (Avena sativa).de Bruijn WJC1, van Dinteren S1, Gruppen H1, Vincken JP2. Food Chem. 2019 Mar 30;277:682-690
More to know about eating healthy and delicious :