Okroshka Russian Summer Soup:
This is a traditional summer soup because it is served cold.
Very refreshing, this chilled soup may be a pleasure on a hot day. It may also be a healthy idea.
A recent scientific study has demonstrated that premeal yogurt intake can inhibit the postprandial dysregulation of glucose and thus may reduce cardiometabolic risk.
If having a soup with yogurt may protect from cardiovascular diseases, let try this Okoshka recipe.
Since the 19thcentury, French has developed some recipes from aristocratic Russian Cuisine. With Metchikov in the Institut Pasteur, all about yogurt had raised special interest, some modifications were done to eat healthily.
Okroshka is a traditional Russian cold soup with confused origins.
Before the revolution it was served with cold fish and meat, then it became a recipe for workers with hard eggs, potatoes, and mortadella to get proteins.
My mother and my grandmother were cooking with yogurt and did some modifications to comply with our family nutrition rules, no starch, no hard eggs, no potatoes.
I made some addition to accommodate health benefits. I use avocado as eggs substitute, it is possible to add cold cubes of chicken, tuna, cod or shrimps at your convenience.
Easy, cheap and healthy try this summer recipe.
- 1 small bunch radishes,
- 1 small cucumber,
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup finely cut scallions
- 1/4 cup finely fennel green or cilantro
- 3 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- 1-2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the radishes, the cucumber, the fennel bulbs, the scallions and the herbs.
- Let them dry in a colander for a few minutes.
- Then slice the radish cucumber fennel with a mandolin or a food processor.
- Chopped the scallions and the herbs.
- Place everything in a large pot.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the plain yogurt, water, and lime juice. Pour the mixture into the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine, add some diced avocado to give a soft texture, add the seasoning.
- Cover with more sliced avocados and or cubed chicken or fish at your convenience.
The Journal of Nutrition, nxy046, https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxy046 15 May 2018
You like this recipe Click to download